Bob Berger Newcomer Award
This award is intended to recognize the outstanding contributions of individuals
new to the financial aid profession. It is presented in honor of the late Mr.
Bob Berger, former Director of Student Financial Aid at Missouri Western State
University. Bob’s service in the financial aid community began in 1971
and until his untimely death in April 2002, Bob ensured that students were the
focus of his career. He believed and exemplified that a student’s success
in education is paramount in the financial aid industry. Bob also believed in
the professional development of his staff and the MASFAP community so that we
may act as advocates for the student – just as he did. This award will
serve as a reminder of Bob’s legacy to both MASFAP and the entire student
financial aid profession.
To be considered for this award, each candidate must meet the following criteria:
- Be an Institutional MASFAP member who is a first time financial aid professional. This administrator must have been in the profession for less than five years (as of January 1).
- Have made outstanding contributions at the institutional, regional, state,
and/or national levels
- Strive to keep students’ interest his/her first priority
- Be dedicated to providing professional development to others and for themselves
to better assist students
- Give back to the financial aid community
- Demonstrate leadership by participating in and supporting student aid related
activities and programs
The award will be bestowed at the Fall MASFAP Conference at the discretion
of the Newcomer Welcome Committee only when the high standards set forth above
have been met. The chosen recipient(s) will receive a paid MASFAP conference
registration along with a token of appreciation from the MASFAP organization.
Nominations can be submitted to the Newcomer Welcome Committee Chairperson
beginning July 1 and ending no later than October 1 prior to the subsequent
fall conference. All nominations must include a letter of recommendation along
with the nomination form. Submit this form online and send your letter of recommendation to:
1000 W Austin
Nevada, MO 64772
Fax: (417) 448-1025